Chef and Palestine on a Plate app creator Joudie Kalla shares her recipe for tandoori chicken
I love a curry and tandoori chicken is my all time favourite. It’s so easy to make and utterly delicious to eat. The colour is exceptional and once you make it, you’ll realise how simple it is and it’ll appear on your dinner table again and again. It works rather well on the BBQ also.
1 whole chicken.
Juice of 1 lemon.
2 teaspoons of turmeric.
2 teaspoons of cumin powder.
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
1 green chilli.
1 small knob of ginger.
5 tablespoons of yoghurt.
¼ teaspoon of red food paste or beetroot pureé.
– Blend all the ingredients – except the chicken and lemon and salt – together in a mixer and set aside.
– Cut the chicken in half and remove the skin and slice with gashes all the way through to the bone.
– Mix the lemon juice and salt with 1 teaspoon of salt and rub into the chicken.
– Put in the fridge for about 15 minutes and then rub in the blended ingredients.
– Leave to marinate for 24 hours or if impatient. like me, 4 hours.
– Set your oven to 250 degrees and place your chicken on a baking tray.
– Cook for about 30 to 50 minutes depending on the size of the chicken.
– Whilst it is cooking, make naan bread and cook cumin rice.
– Remove from the oven and serve.
Enjoy with chutney, naan and cool yoghurt and most importantly: Don’t forget to eat with your hands.
Joudie Kalla is a Palestinian chef and a lover of Middle Eastern food. She runs Baity Kitchen Catering and recently launched an app named Palestine on a Plate to share Palestinian recipes and personal stories. Follow her on Twitter at @BaityKitchen.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here:
Thank you for making us VERY hungry indeed!