An opportunity to buy 110 books that previously belonged to Bernard and Ruth Madoff
An ebay seller with a 99.1% rating is selling a collection of books and stationery that they claim was previously owned by the Ponzi schemer Bernard L. Madoff and his wife, Ruth. A price of $1,250 is sought including shipping.
Previously auctioned in the US marshal’s seizure sale of the possessions of the couple, the titles of the 110 books give a unique insight into the psyche of this monstrous pair. Amongst them are:
- The World Must Know by Michael Berenbaum
- The Final Days by Barbara Olson
- Complete Guide to Executive Manners by Letitia Baldridge
- The Lost Father by Marina Warner
- Riding The Rap by Elmore Leonard
- Women’s Ways of Knowing by Mary Feld Belenky, Blythe Mcvicker Clinchy, Nancy Rule Goldberger and Jill Mattuck Tarule
- Writing a Woman’s Life by Carolyn G. Heilbrun and Katha Pollitt
- No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Rules of Prey by John Sandford
- Wizard at Large by Terry Brook
If only someone had studied Bernie’s bookshelf when his activities were first questioned in the 1990s. Perhaps then he would have been brought to book a little more speedily.
Whilst this sale concludes on 30th January 2013, other books are also available as single lots at prices starting at $50. Even more bizarrely, other listings include the Madoff’s hand initialed bathroom scales ($50), two carbon monoxide detectors owned by the couple ($50) and their Sony DVD player ($175).
The truth, as they say, is often stranger than fiction.