Mews house where Aston Martin was founded comes to the market
On 15th January 1913, Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin commenced business at 16 Henniker Mews in Chelsea. They built a car known as the ‘Coal Scuttle’ and after successfully entering it into the Aston Hill climb near Aston Clinton, they renamed the firm Aston Martin. Converted into a mews house, the property is now for sale for £2,500,000.
Occupied by the current owners for 17 years, the house has been interior decorated by Mark Howarth and features a plaque unveiled to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Aston Martin. The building had been the London depot of an engineering firm named Hesse and Savory prior to Bamford & Martin taking it over. The duo’s tenure, however, was brief as the onset of the First World War delayed production and it was not until the 1940s under the ownership of tractor manufacturer David Brown that Aston Martin became truly successful.
The 1,217 square foot house – which is for sale with Farrar – includes 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a 27-foot reception room and a breakfast kitchen. Off street parking for an Aston owned by whoever buys the house is also included and, naturally, there’s also a 16-foot long garage as well.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here: