Aston Martin Lagonda originally owned by Prince Philip for sale
HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh – AKA ‘Phil The Greek’ – purchased a 3-litre Aston Martin Lagonda drophead coupé new in 1954 and owned it until 1961. That car is now set to be auctioned with a punchy estimate of £350,000 to £400,000 – three to four times the price of a similar car without such a pedigree.
Driven extensively by Queen Elizabeth II’s husband during his possession, the car was built to the personal specification of Prince Philip and delivered in Edinburgh Green livery with grey leather upholstery. It was fitted with non-standard extras such as a power hood and a floor-change gearbox and even came with an extra vanity mirror for The Queen supposedly to use when adjusting her hat. Other additions numbered a “pioneering” radio telephone that Prince Philip allegedly made prank phonecalls to his children, Prince Charles and Princess Anne, on and as well as being the vehicle the royals used when they opened the M1 motorway, the car toured the Commonwealth with the couple during 1956 and 1957 during which time it was kept aboard the Royal Yacht Britannia.
Restored in recent years, the Lagonda was reunited with Prince Philip at an event in 1999 and is a rare example of a car that he has owned that has passed into private ownership. It will be sold by H&H Classics at their Imperial War Museum Duxford sale on 20th April 2016.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here: