As ‘Downton Abbey’ returns tonight, we raise a glass to its official unofficial drinking game
Downton Abbey, a show that many have mixed views about, returns tonight. The nation will no doubt be gripped and though we hope Julian Fellowes has ironed out the historical inaccuracies and corrected the strangely informal relations between the master and his servants, we bet it’ll be another success. In preparation, we share with you a game that you might wish to play in accompaniment from 9pm tonight named Downton the Hatch!
The rules are simple and initially suggested 26 occasions on which to down a measure whilst watching the drama series. They are:
- Drink whenever a bell rings.
- Drink whenever Robert is upset by something he reads in the paper.
- Drink whenever Mrs Patmore yells at Daisy.
- Drink anytime someone from upstairs appears downstairs.
- Take 2 drinks any time Anna somehow turns “Bates” into a two syllable word.
- Drink anytime anyone on the show drinks.
- Drink anytime Lady Mary raises her eyebrows and keep drinking until they are lowered to their natural position.
- Drink anytime the dog appears in a scene.
- Drink whenever Thomas smokes… evilly.
- Drink every time Maggie Smith f**king owns it.
- Toast and chug whenever anyone in the show says something negative about America or Americans.
- Drink whenever Thomas and O’Brien are plotting like Boris and Natasha.
- Drink and give a tip of the hat any time a character wears a ridiculous hat (also known as the “Hat Tip to Lady Mary’s Top Hat Rule”).
- Every time Branson says something political, stand up, hold your glass out in front of you and say, “VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!”
- Drink whenever Edith is a disappointment to the family.
- Drink when someone talks on the phone.
- Drink whenever the honour of Downton is at stake!
- Drink whenever you see a random servant whose name is never mentioned.
- Drink whenever someone is flabbergasted by a technological advancement.
- Drink any time we see some hanky-panky.
- Drink whenever Dr Clarkson misdiagnoses something.
- Pour yourself more wine each time Carson decants a wine bottle.
- Drink each time you question how O’Brien’s hair is even possible.
- Drink whenever anyone rides a bicycle.
- Pour one out for your homey when a character dies.
- Toast to Laura Linney.
A Twitter account devoted to the game has been created and even BAFTA ran a pub quiz based on it. Do try it at home but do so responsibly.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here:[wysija_form id=”1″]